Tuesday 10 February 2009

Broadclyst Primary School

For my first teaching practice i went to Broadclyst Primary School. I was in year 2 and found it amazing that the teachers took the register on a laptop. There were many forms of ICT being used, especially in year 6.
Year 6 had seminars. There were roughly 60 children to the class and each pupil had a computer to work on. Although this was incredibile to see, I personally felt that it was a bit too much. I saw children instant messaging eachother rather than talking to them. Also, when it came to producing written work, children would write in short hand as they were so used messaging their friends.
I also didnt agree with it as when they did work on word, they hardly ever used a pen and paper, as word had a spell check, how would we as teachers know if their spelling was good? Apart form doing a spelling test, when and how often would you as a teacher find the time to do this?

I think that using an IWB in classrooms are very good, but I feel that each pupil having their own computer is getting a bit ahead of time.

What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. The concerns you raise about every child having a computer are the ones I would have thought of. ICT can be good for efficiency but also make us very lazy and antisocial! With such a large push on speaking and listening, everyday classroom talk is very important. I really dont think it can be positive if ICT is limiting classroom discussion and verbal communication.

    ReplyDelete